Friday, June 06, 2008

Lilly’s French Cafe & Bar - meh


Lilly's is a charming French bistro style restaurant on Abbot Kinney in Venice. I sat in the back patio, which was partially covered and quite pleasant. I was happy to see a pitcher of water already on the table so that we could help ourselves. I hate being without water at a restaurant.

The service was fine. Nothing to rave about. The busboy brought out our orders, and the waiter wasn't even present. He had no idea who had ordered which dish. I find it annoying and chaotic to have your conversation interrupted so that you can identify what food you ordered.

As for the food, I have some mixed feelings. The Carpaccio had a nice texture and was very finely cut. It went well with the little bed of salad, but the Marinara sauce just didn't go with the dish. It wasn't a good flavor combination for me. The escargots were big an plump. The flavor of the sauce was nice. Although, it was more on the buttery side and I tend to prefer more garlic. (File this a miscellaneous, but it was odd that the serving dish was missing the handle which appeared to have broken off. Later, I saw another plate that also had the handle broken off. I guess that's their hallmark? To serve food in a broken plate? Weird.) The mixed green salad had a nice dressing that was quite light.

The presentation of the main course was simple and rustic. The tuna steak was large and perfectly pink inside. It wasn't sliced, just the whole steak on a bed of spinach. The spinach and the creamy sauce all worked together nicely. The duck had a hint of pink in one slice, but was otherwise perfectly medium, as ordered. It was soft and tender and tasty. No skin or fattiness. The fruit sauce was a nice accompaniment. I also enjoyed the haricorts verts which were still green and had a little crispy crunch as you bit through. The moules frites were very disappointing. I still can't put my finger on it. The broth lacked brightness/freshness. I tried to add a squeeze of lemon, but the waiter brought me lemon slices. It could maybe have used some fresh herbs, too.

It was reasonably priced, but I'm not sure if I'd go back for dinner. I think it would be a good place for lunch, or to grab a quick bite at the bar.

***

Lilly’s French Cafe & Bar
1031 Abbot Kinney Blvd
Venice, CA 90291
Phone: 310 314 0004
Fax: 310 392 7444
http://www.lillysfrenchcafe.com/

No comments: