Saturday, March 08, 2008

Chinese Chicken Salad

I love this salad from Triple C's (California Chicken Cafe). Everyone has their own taste in Chinese Chicken Salad. Since, it's something invented in Southern California, there is no official recipe. I love the mix of salad, pasta, and roasted chicken in Triple C's version.

This is my take at trying to recreate the dish. The dressing is a Benihana dressing knock-off that has been modified to taste more like Triple C's.

Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe

Ingredients
Salad
3 cups Romaine Lettuce (chopped into bite-sized pieces)
1/2 cup Roasted Chicken (cut in bite-sized chunks)
1/4 cup Low Mein Noodles
1/2 cup Fusilli Spiral Pasta, cooked and cooled
1/4 cup Mandarin Oranges
2 Tbs Almonds (crunched)
1 Green Onion (sliced, white part only)

Dressing
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon ground ginger root
1 tablespoon chopped celery
1 teaspoon chopped carrot
1 teaspoon chopped red pepper
1 teaspoon chopped green pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar (mandarin reserve)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Method
  1. Mix dressing ingredients in blencher until almost smooth.

  2. Reserve dressing in a container.

  3. Toss salad ingredients together.

  4. Add dressing to taste.
Where to eat a Chinese Chicken Salad?
2401 Wilshire Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA 90403
Telephone: (310) 453-0477
http://www.californiachickencafe.com/

There are multiple locations in LA. The one listed above is the closest one to my apartment. Don't forget to change into some gym clothes before you go. You can wear what you want, but the the health conscious folks who frequent the restaurant go after a quick workout. You want to fit in, don't you?

2 comments:

nicole said...

My gosh your recipe for the dressing was spot on. Can I beg you to recreate CCC's Balsamic dressing?? I am obsessed with it and can't figure it out for the life of me....have not found anything online. It is the only dressing that helps me eat a plain ol' salad. Help a sister out?? I will owe you big time!!!!

naomi said...

Let me look around. It took me a long time to figure out this recipe. I was more desperate at the time because I was broke and couldn't eat take out.

I haven't tried the balsamic at triple CCCs, but you have motivated me to uncover a copykat recipes again.... mostly because you are the only comment I have ever had in 9 years! I didn't even know my login for Blogger anymore.